Full details and booking arrangements will be notified to members in the Spring mailshot
Arundel Castle & Grounds including Arundel Cathedral
ARUNDEL CASTLEstle is a restored and remodelled medieval castle in Arundel, West
Sussex. It was established by Roger de Montgomery, the first Earl of Arundel, on
Christmas Day 1067 and it has been the seat of the Dukes of Norfolk and their ancestors
for over 850 years. The castle was damaged in the English Civil War and then restored
in the 18th and 19th centuries. The oldest feature is the motte, an artificial mound,
over 100 feet high from the dry moat, and constructed in 1068, followed by the gatehouse
in 1070. The building we see now owes much to the restoration by Henry, 15th Duke
of Norfolk (1847-1917) which was completed in 1900. It was one of the first English
country houses to be fitted with electric light, integral fire fighting equipment,
service lifts and central heating. The gravity fed domestic water supply also supplied
the town. Included in the visit is the Fitzalan Chapel, founded in 1390 by the 4th
Earl of Arundel and situated in the grounds of the Castle. It is still the burial
place of the Dukes of Norfolk and is a fine example of Gothic architecture with a
carved timber roof and choir stalls.
This will be a free-flow visit with guides in individual areas providing information.
Garden features include the Collector Earl’s Garden, the Rose Garden, herbaceous
borders, a stumpery, glass houses, the White garden and an organic kitchen garden.
The allium display can be seen in the Walled Gardens at this time of year with
over fourteen varieties on show, some of which grow as tall as five feet.
Refreshments: There is a café and a restaurant in the Castle. There is no designated
area for picnics but these can be taken anywhere in the grounds (but not in the gardens).
Accessibility: Golf buggies may be requested at the ticket office to access the
Castle from the drop-off point. The bedroom corridor, optional & costing an additional
£2 per person (payable on the day), is only accessible via steps.
ARUNDEL CATHEDRAL: Our visit coincides with the feast of Corpus Christi in Arundel
Cathedral, which for over 100 years has been celebrated with a festival of flowers.
Traditionally this includes a magnificent carpet of flowers in the central aisle
and numerous floral displays around the Cathedral. There is no charge for admission
and refreshments are available in the Cathedral Centre, a short distance from the
Cathedral, and in the town centre.
Thursday 31st May 2018
BROUGHTON GRANGE was owned for 200 years by the Morrell family until it was acquired
by the new owner in 1992. The house is not open to the public as it is a private
The gardens are beautifully set in 350 acres of parkland, farmland and open meadows
with planting from the Victorian era.Since the purchase by the current owner there
have been numerous additions to the garden and in 2001 Tom Stuart-Smith, the well-known
Chelsea garden designer, was employed to change a 6 acre sloping field into a superb
walled terraced garden with ponds and rills overlooking the countryside.
One of Tom Stuart-Smith’s gardens in Marrakesh was shown and admired on “Monty Don’s
Paradise Gardens”. The hard landscaping was designed by Ptolemy Dean, the historical
architect on the BBC Restoration programme.
Other garden features are parterres, a knot and sunken garden, a yew terrace, long
flower borders, a wild flower and water meadow and the most recent addition is an
80 acre arboretum which is being established. Plants for sale.
Coffee, biscuits anda short talk by the gardener areincluded in the price.
Broughton Castle is a moated medieval manor house of the 14th century, enlarged in
the 16th and home of the Fiennes family since 1447 - the current home of the 21st
Lord and Lady Saye and Sele. The main features are the Gatehouse, Great Hall, Oak
Gallery, King’s Chamber, Queen Anne’s Room and Chapel.
Garden: Being a mid-summer visit there should be an abundance of perennial flowers,
roses and climbing plants in the borders and walls around the Castle. In the 1890s
when Lady Blanche Gordon-Lennox and her husband Lord Algernon were tenants at Broughton
she decided to improve the neglected garden. Being a keen gardener she designed
the delightful “Ladies Garden”.
Tuesday 1st July 2018
Broughton Grange and Broughton Castle - Banbury
Thursday 16th August 2018
The Savill Garden was created by Sir Eric Savill, grand master of the woodland garden,
in the 1930s with support of King George V and Queen Mary. Since that time, the
Garden has continued to develop under Royal Patronage, with most recently The Queen
opening the Rose Garden.
The garden is set in 35 acres with a variety of interlocking gardens ranging from
the golden grassland of the New Zealand Garden to the vibrant swathes of colour in
the huge herbaceous borders. There are rare plants from around the world, woods and
glades and the Queen Elizabeth Temperate House.
Two guided garden walks have been arranged at 11am. The cost has been included in
the outing price.
The Savill Building contains a restaurant and coffee shop plus a gift shop and plants.
Picnic tables are near the car park.
Frogmore House was built in the 17th century and became a royal property when it
was purchased for George 111’s wife, Queen Charlotte in 1792. It is no longer an
occupied royal residence but is frequently used by the Royal Family for private entertaining.
The interests and talents of several generations of the royal family influenced Frogmore’s
interior. Queen Charlotte’s passion for botany is reflected in the decoration of
the house. She commissioned Mary Moser, the renowned 18th century flower painter,
to decorate one of Frogmore’s principal rooms to resemble an arbour open to the skies.
Frogmore was home to Victoria, Duchess of Kent for almost 20 years, and works by
her and her daughter Queen Victoria are on display in the house.
Following the decommissioning of the Royal Yacht in 1997, the Duke of Edinburgh arranged
for a selection of items from the interior of the vessel to be moved into “The Britannia
Room” including the rich mahogany table which dominates the room. A guided tour
has been booked for Frogmore House and the cost is included.
Frogmore Garden. Although we will see the landscaped garden as we approach the house
and will be able to overlook it from the house, we will not be given the opportunity
to walk around. The garden is only open on two or three days a year to charities
who make a request to the Queen. These dates have not been advertised yet. In 1790,
Queen Charlotte introduced 4000 trees and shrubs to create a model picturesque landscape.
The garden also features a lake, an 18th century Gothic Ruin and the Royal Mausoleum.
There will be no refreshments or a shop at Frogmore; if we have time I hope that
we may be able to visit the Windsor Farm Shop for tea or a look around the shop,
depending on our tour timing and traffic on the day
Savill Gardens and Frogmore House - Windsor
Saturday 16th June 2018
Wrest Park and Garden Festival - Bedfordshire
Castle - Banbury
Wrest Park : The house was built in French Style in 1834-39 to designs by its owner
Thomas de Grey, the 2nd Earl de Grey, an amateur architect and the first president
of the Royal Institute of British Architects, who was inspired by buildings he had
seen on trips to Paris.
Wrest has some of the earliest Rococo Revival interiors in England and the Countess’s
Sitting Room (1840s) and the Archer Pavilion are particularly stunning examples.
The ground floor is open to visitors.
Restoration: The house &garden, both Grade 1 listed, were restored by English Heritage
Garden: Wrest Park has an early eighteenth-century garden covering over 90 acres,
which was originally laid out by George London and then modified by Lancelot Capability
Brown. During the 18th and 19th centuries, the Bath House, an orangery and marble
fountains were added.
Within the Park are fragrant borders, sweeping landscapes and woodland walks showcasing
French, Dutch, Italian and English styles side by side. Also within the grounds are
the Thatched Bath House, Chinese temple, lake and bridge, over 40 statues and a columnar
memorial to Brown.
Garden Festival: Stalls and various attractions are not yet specified.
Popular and unusual plants will be available.
Café for coffees, lunches. Picnics in the garden are allowed.